You might be wondering why it is called so, and how you can come up with the best beef curry recipe. Well, you have all the answers here.
Beef curry is a highly regarded delicacy all over the world, and the majority of curry enthusiasts are to the opinion that it is the best sauce in the world as a whole! It originated from the city of Durban, South African province of Kwazulu.
Durban curries are distinct from the rest since they are usually hotter, plus they are coloured red with chillies, tomatoes, cayenne pepper, among other Indian flavours.
A Durban Masala curry powder contains up to 12 different ingredients, making it very delicious. To come up with the best beef curry stew, you need to follow this beef curry recipe to the latter.
Procedure to make beef curry recipes
Below is a step by step on how you can make an Indian beef curry recipe to surprise your friends and family.
- 400g beef cubed or fillet, fat-trimmed
- 250 ml tomato puree
- Fresh coriander
- 250g chickpeas, cooked
- Two tablespoons of olive oil
- Two cloves garlic, finely minced
- One onion, medium size finely chopped
- Aromatics: 2 bay leaves, fennel seeds (½ tablespoon), one cinnamon stick
- Two green chillies, sliced lengthwise Five curry leaves
- Two tablespoons curry powder
- One tablespoon ground cumin
- One tablespoon ground coriander
- One tablespoon fresh thyme
- Salt to taste
How to make
- Clean the beef and its drain water.
- Cut it into 1-inch small cubes.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the diced onions, cinnamon sticks, and cloves.
- Add the masala powder, stir, and then add the meat to the pan.
- Add the garlic, salt, ginger, fennel seeds, curry leaves, tomato puree, salt, and chopped coriander. Stir the ingredients together.
- Let them cook on high heat for up to 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium level and let it cook for 30 minutes.
- When the meat and vegetables are well-cooked, let it simmer on high heat for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander sprigs. You can serve with basmati rice, sambals, roti, and green salad. Adjust the seasoning accordingly before serving.
What beef is best for Curry?
It is recommended you go for chuck steak. This well-cut meat comes from the shoulder of the animal. It is lean but still contains a high content of collagen, low external fat, and the right amount of marbling.
What makes a good curry?
It is made through a combination of the following: tomatoes, pureed peppers, chillis, coconut milk, yoghurt or cream, diced or pureed onion, among other ingredients. With those ingredients, you will be able to improvise a pleasurable and straightforward sauce. With the above beef curry recipe, you can create a Durban mince curry recipe as you may want. It is flexible in that you can combine as many spices as you may wish to, and you can use different quantities depending on your preference.